Friday, November 2, 2007

Working It Out

Okay. I flaked. I haven’t posted all the juicy details from last Friday’s Skills Night run by the Gotham Girls. Here are some highlights in hindsight:

The Girls: Bonnie Thunders, Kandy Kakes, Ginger Snap, Beyonsláy, Surly Temple all rocked. Nice but firm and super informative.

WannaBRollers: All the other girls there picking up skills were awesome too. I met lots of new people with great stories to tell.

Falling: Apparently I'm a natural at throwing myself down and getting right back up again. Fast. Thanks school of hard knocks.

Pain: I was more exhausted than anything else on Friday night. So exhausted that when I transferred to the F in Manhattan, I took it in the wrong direction. I got home around midnight. No dinner. No water. (Note to self: Eat energy bars on the way to next Skills Night, and bring water you dumbass.) Saturday brought the pain. I've tried to target my inner thighs and ass since pubescence. I now know how. (I couldn't put on pants without cringing until Tuesday.)

Competition: It'll take a miracle for a novice skater to win against most of these girls. A bunch are transplants from other states' derby leagues. Others have backgrounds in ice skating or, at least, have skated on quads frequently since grade schools days. I don't fall into any of those categories. But I refuse to give up (refer to Falling highlight above.)

Looks Are Deceiving (Proven Again): Life teaches this rather quickly. Derby hit it home again. All shapes, sizes, colors. These girls are badass. They are talented. They are serious. And they are welcoming to those who get that.

Since Friday, I've been working out more. I use to work out religiously. Since moving to NY, I've slacked in a major way, and it shows. I always complain of being tired. My core isn't tight. And holy shite, my endurance, something I was always proud of, is in a sad state. It's a big weekend. I have four skating lessons with the guru. I plan to use his time wisely. November 16th is the next Skills Night. And November 19th is the big day. Tryouts.

No comments: