Sunday, November 4, 2007

Marathon Weekend


Tens of thousands of extra people ran through New York this weekend, but I was completely focused on skating.

Saturday was my first outdoor lesson at Central Park. Only one other classmate showed up. It was nice to have the guru’s undivided attention and wisdom the whole session. I needed the attention; we focused on skating down hills. We then zipped back down to Mercer Playground for the “indoor” skills lesson. I was psyched to learn crossovers, but not very keen on skating backwards. It’s all mental; I know that skating backwards isn’t something I need to master right now. Crossovers though, I need to be able to do those in my sleep. (If I slept upright on wheels in a circular maze.)

Saturday night was Derby Double Header at Hunter College. The Brooklyn Bombshells demolished the Long Island Roller Rebels. And Manhattan Mayhem did pretty much the same with the Hub City Hellrazors.

I was back in Central Park on Sunday morning. The eruptions of applause from the Marathon fans were definitely an adrenaline boost. The skate was bittersweet; this was my last outdoor lesson (well, last for now). Same for today’s indoor lesson. Last and a little demoralizing. Two never before seen Amazon ladies joined our group. It was their second class and they were skating backwards like pros and managing crossovers just fine. Apparently, they have derby on the mind, too. I’m not sure if they have more lessons scheduled before tryouts, but I’m once again forced to realize how slim my chances are.

I have two weeks to work at it before another weekend skate marathon: November 16 – Skills Night; November 17 – GGRD Championships; November 18 – Rest, Pray, Stretch, Puke from Nerves and Get Over Myself; November 19 – Tryouts.

No comments: